Scientists tell us that sitting for prolonged periods can cause a whole host of negative health effects, including neck and back pain, obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Why not combine the best of both worlds by installing adjustable desktop workstations to promote wellness among your workforce?
Human bodies are designed to be in motion, and height-adjustable desks are a terrific solution. There are a variety of styles available, from stationary surfaces that look like raised tables, to standing desks that transition from sitting to standing with a few quick modifications.
QualityCubicles.com can help you discover adjustable desktop workstations that fulfill your requirements for function, aesthetics and affordability. Bargains can be found at dealers and liquidators, such as Ethosource in the Philadelphia are, who routinely buy used office furniture from businesses across the nation and make it available to you at huge savings.
Advantages of Height-Adjustable Workstations
Adjustable height desks allow each individual to choose the worksurface position that is optimal for their body. The benefits include:
- Instead of trying to adapt your employees to one or two fixed desk configurations, height-adjustable workstations enable you to adapt the desktops to a wide variety of people (young and old, short and tall, thin and thick). People in wheelchairs also benefit from adjustable height desks.
- Adjustable desks can help reduce employee discomfort and injuries, resulting in fewer lost workdays and increased productivity. Ergonomically designed workstations may also reduce sources of work-related stress. In other words, the benefits far outweigh the investment.
- Pain reduction. Some studies have shown that standing desk users are able to reduce their neck and back pain by as much as 54%. Even standing for one hour each day will relieve the stress on the spine caused by sitting all day.
- Health improvements. Sitting all day is unhealthy. It can cause poor circulation and, after four hours, can change the way the body handles blood sugar. But too much standing isn’t the answer, and may even contribute to varicose veins. Experts say alternating between sitting and standing every 30 to 60 minutes is the ideal solution. Anything that keeps the body in motion instead of stuck in a static position can only lead to positive health benefits.
- More energy. When we are sedentary for a long time, everything slows, including brain function. Ever heard of “thinking on your feet”? Better circulation that comes from standing vs. sitting increases oxygen to the brain, leading to more creativity and less mental fatigue. With the increased energy from standing more often, employees improve their ability to concentrate longer on challenging tasks.
Alternating between sitting and standing positions is critical for keeping our bodies healthy and preventing illness. If you are serious about employee wellness, consider installing adjustable desktop workstations to boost morale and give your team the ability to move throughout the day.